Listed below are summaries of the responsibilities of positions available at Gardner-Webb University. These are summaries only and are not job descriptions. Unless otherwise noted, positions are open until filled. To find out more about the vacancies, please contact either Scott White, Director of Human Resources, or Frances Sizemore, Associate Director of Human Resources.
Gardner-Webb University maintains a policy of non-discrimination. No aspect of employment will be influenced by race, color, sex, national origin, veteran status, handicap, age, or any other basis prohibited by statute.
Gardner-Webb University is a private institution founded by North Carolina Baptists in 1905 and employs individuals who participate in and whole heartedly support Christian values.
Assistant Professor of American Sign Language
Gardner-Webb University seeks qualified candidates for a position as Assistant Professor of American Sign Language. GWU offers a Major in ASL with a minor in Interpreting. Applicants should have an earned graduate degree, superior or superior plus on the Sign Communication Proficiency Interview, American Sign Language Teacher Association certification and have a strong commitment to undergraduate education and public outreach. Preferred qualifications include a doctorate in a related field and training as a SLPI evaluator.
Gardner-Webb University currently offers a four year degree in American Sign Language with a minor in interpreting. Our goal is to prepare students to interpret in the community, to teach ASL, and to have the language skills and cultural sensitivity necessary to work with deaf people in a variety of settings. Many of our students go on to complete graduate degrees in Deaf Education, Counseling, and Social Work.
The University desires to fill the position no later than August 1, 2015. Salary and benefits are competitive with institutions of a similar size and purpose. Screening of applicants will begin February 15, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit a letter of application, resume, official transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to: Dr. Bernhard Martin, P.O. Box 7266, Gardner-Webb University, Boiling Springs, NC 28017. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gardner-Webb University is a coeducational, private institution with a strong emphasis in the liberal arts, located in Boiling Springs, NC (50 miles southwest of Charlotte) offering a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts and sciences and in professional and pre-professional fields to approximately 4000 students. Founded by North Carolina Baptists in 1905, Gardner-Webb employs individuals who participate in and wholeheartedly support Christian values.
Director of Retention
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive retention program designed to improve undergraduate student persistence and success.
- Chair and staff the Retention Committee comprised of internal stakeholders. Help research, develop, and propose initiatives for review by the President and Senior Staff, and ultimately implement and manage strategies that improve retention of students.
- Implement and manage Insight Simplicity retention software, and ensure campus-wide adoption and consistent use of this resource to enhance student persistence and success.
- Conduct annual student satisfaction assessment and develop student focus groups to identify areas of potential improvement in retention policy, practice and philosophy.
- Develop timely and accurate enrollment projections and accurate retention reports for the President, Cabinet and key users across campus. Develop, maintain, analyze and share key student data that helps identify retention issues, whether individual to a student or a result of systematic issues that can be addressed.
- Identify special opportunities that enhance retention and bring “best practices” to GWU’s collective toolbox (e.g. summer bridge programs, speakers and conferences, partnerships with programs at high schools and community colleges) that align with the University’s strategic enrollment and retention goals.
- Counsel and assist current students by helping them confront barriers to persistence, identify and manage their administrative and academic responsibilities, and navigate expectations and experiences all students face.
- Foster strong relationships with internal constituents to encourage student engagement in their academic discipline, clubs, and organizations on and off campus.
- Work in collaboration with the faculty and staff in identifying student satisfaction challenges
- Attend conferences and professional organization meetings geared toward retention and student success.
- Provide flexible, division-wide support as directed by the VP of Enrollment Management & Marketing.
Supervise the Assistant Director of Retention.
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor’s Degree required from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree in student counseling or enrollment-related field preferred; minimum five years of enrollment/retention-related higher education experience.
He/she must be proficient in use of information technology (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, campus-wide database). He/she must possess personal characteristics and values consistent with the mission of Gardner-Webb University: friendly, approachable, patient, caring, flexible, professional, self-directed, trustworthy, committed to the task, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy.
To apply for this position, send resumes to David Hawsey, email@example.com.
Director of Facilities for Environmental Services
The Operations division is seeking a highly qualified candidate to serve as our Housekeeping Administrator with specific responsibilities for housekeeping, recycling and waste minimization and management.
The successful candidate should possess a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and significant facilities management experience in a campus setting. This individual will be responsible for cleanliness and safety of approximately 1.3M SF of facilities across 50 buildings and will manage 2 area supervisors and approximately 30 employees. The position reports to the Associate Vice President for Operations and serves on a management team with Grounds, Maintenance, Events, Safety, Food Service and Administrative Directors.
This position is available for immediate employment and benefits are commensurate with experience and include excellent affordable health care coverage, tuition remission for employee and dependents, and 8% retirement contribution with required employee contribution of 4%. Gardner-Webb is located in Boiling Spring, NC – Less than an hour from Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC. To apply, submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply through linkedin.com. An employment application must also be completed if selected for interview.
This position will remain open until filled.
Director of Admissions, Graduate School of Business
The office of Enrollment Management seeks to hire an experienced higher education professional who is outgoing, energetic and a team player. Primary Responsibilities are to direct and coordinate all aspects of student recruitment and enrollment management for the Graduate School of business, including directing marketing efforts and building and maintaining relationships with corporate representatives and respective business leaders in the community, in addition to working with prospective students, serving as a primary resource for students throughout the admissions process. This position works in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Graduate Admission, Vice President for Enrollment Management, and the Graduate School of Business Dean in preparing and evaluating recruiting/marketing tools and strategies.
The Director of Admission for the Graduate School of Business will assist in the supervision of the Graduate Admission Counselors, Graduate Assistants, and work study students.
He/she must possess personal characteristics and values consistent with the mission of GWU: friendly, approachable, patient, caring, flexible, professional, self-directed, trustworthy, committed to task, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy.
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum requirement: Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
He/she should possess strong oral and written communication skills. Maintaining frequent contact with prospective students is essential to job success. Individual should possess ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Interested candidates should send their letter of interest, resume, and names of least three professional references to:
Deborah Wilkinson, Sr. Director of Graduate Admissions,
PO Box 7308
Boiling Springs, NC 28017
or via e-mail to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Gardner-Webb University is a coeducational, residential, private institution with a strong emphasis in the Liberal Arts, located in Boiling Springs, North Carolina (50 miles southwest of Charlotte) offering a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs to approximately 4,000 students. Founded by North Carolina Baptists in 1905, Gardner-Webb University employs individuals who participate in and wholeheartedly support Christian values. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.