Class Attendance Policy and Educational Records

FacebookTwitterGoogle Plus


Regular class attendance is an important student obligation. Students are responsible for all course work conducted in class meetings. Students are required by university policy to attend a minimum of 75% of the scheduled class meetings. Furthermore, it is the prerogative of the professor to set a more stringent class attendance policy. During the first week of the semester, the professor will clearly state, in writing, the attendance policies which will govern the class. Students are responsible for knowing the number of absences that they accumulate.


Absence from class does not excuse the student from responsibility for class work. Planned class absences for official business or foreseeable personal circumstances must be negotiated with the professor before the absence and plans made for completing course work missed.



Comprehensive final examinations or assessment products are required in every course by the end of the semester. If a comprehensive exam is given, a student who does not take the examination at the scheduled time will receive a failing grade in that subject unless excused by the professor. If the student is excused, the grade will be recorded as Incomplete (I).




Graduation is dependent upon quality as well as upon quantity of work done. Letter grades are used. They are interpreted in the table below, with the quality points for each hour of credit shown at the right.


GradesHours Attempted Per Credit HourQuality Points Per Credit Hour
D (Divinity Only)11
Fx (Failure for Academic Dishonesty10
I (Incomplete)00
IN (see below)00
W (Withdrew without penalty)00
WP (Withdrew Passing)00
WP (Withdrew Failing)10
@W (Administrative Withdrawal)00
@F (Administrative Failure for absences)10
NG (No Grade reported by professor)00


The inclusion of letter grades A-, B+, and B- within each course’s grading scale is at the discretion of the instructor or program. The complete grading scale to be used is announced at the beginning of each course.


An I (Incomplete) is assigned only when a small amount of coursework (i.e., test, project, research paper, or final exam) is not complete, and the reason for the incomplete work is of a serious nature and beyond the student’s control. The assigning of an I must be accompanied by the completion of an I contract, with one copy given to the student, one kept on file by the professor, and one submitted to the Associate Provost within seven days after grades are submitted. The student must complete the coursework by the date provided by the professor. The professor should submit the change of grade form no later than 90 days after the last day of the term in which the I was assigned, or earlier. After 90 days, the I automatically becomes a F if it has not been changed.


The grade of IN is assigned in the following cases:


(1) individuals in a practicum or internship who are prevented by circumstances beyond their control from completing their practicum or internship by scheduled deadlines;


(2) students in courses with a multi-semester component (e.g., Nursing Project/Thesis, or ENED 691) which are not completed by grading deadlines.


A W will be assigned when a student withdraws from a course during the first four weeks of the semester or the first week of a summer term or if granted a medical withdrawal. After these time periods, a WF or WP is assigned by the professor based upon the professor’s assessment of the student’s work to date in the course.


The @W represents an administrative withdrawal from a course. It is assigned to any student on an official class roll who has never attended a class session.


The @F represents an administrative failure of a course. It can be assigned by either the professor or the registrar’s office to any student who exceeds the permissible number of absences in a course. This grade is treated the same as the regular F; it counts against the student’s grade-point average and is repeatable only under the provisions outlined below.


Even when a grade of @W or @F has already been assigned by the registrar’s office, a professor may assign a regular F at the end of the term as he/she deems appropriate.


Once a grade has been submitted to the Registrar, it cannot be changed except in the event of a clerical error or an error in calculation, or as a result of the appeal process described below.


A student who has a question about a grade should consult the professor as soon as possible. A student who believes a grade to be inaccurate or unfair may address the matter following the process described below under “Academic Grievance and Appeal Procedures.”


Under no circumstances will a grade be changed, after having been reported to the Registrar, without the approval of the Associate Provost for Professional and Graduate Studies.


Grades will not be recorded if the student’s account is in arrears unless satisfactory arrangements have been made with the Student's Accounts Office.



See sections of the Catalog for the School of Graduate Studies and School of Divinity for each school’s policies on probation, suspension, repeating grades, and dismissal.



A student may not take courses for transfer credit from another institution while on suspension or probation.



The Registrar will furnish transcripts of credit upon written request. Official copies are $15 each, and this fee should accompany the request.


No transcript will be issued until all the student’s accounts have been settled satisfactorily.



Gardner-Webb University complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This Act is designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the Act.


Institutional policy explains in detail the procedures to be used by the institution for compliance with the provisions of the Act. Copies of the policy can be found in the Office of the Registrar. That office also maintains a Directory of Records, which lists all student educational records maintained by the institution. Information known as Directory Information will be published unless the student specifically requests that the Registrar’s Office withhold this information. Directory Information is defined as the following: student name, local and permanent addresses, telephone numbers, date of birth, major(s), dates of attendance, previous educational institutions attended, and degree and awards received.


Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Office of the Registrar.