FacebookTwitterGoogle Plus



Gardner-Webb University operates on the Rolling Admissions Plan. Completed applications are acted upon and notification is made to the student within three weeks. Gardner-Webb University maintains that minimums of 2.5 GPA, 18 ACT, and/or an 870 SAT (Critical Reading and Math), and a rank in the top 50% of the high school graduating class are base lines for academic success. In addition to quantitative requirements for admission, Gardner-Webb University accepts students with strong character, leadership ability and the desire to be a positive influence in the campus community. No single criterion will be decisive, but each item will be considered carefully as acceptance decisions are made. In the case of transfer students, previous college work and recommendations will serve as the criteria for acceptance.


Although an interview is not required of all applicants for admission to Gardner-Webb University, campus visits are encouraged. Campus tours and information sessions are available at 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays, at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesdays, and at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 1-800-253-6472 or (704) 406-4498 for further information, or visit our website to register online www.gardner-webb.edu/visit.


Gardner-Webb University admission packets are available from many high school guidance offices or directly from the Admissions Office of the University. The completed application, along with a non-refundable $40 application fee, and transcripts of all high school credits and any college work attempted should be submitted to the Gardner-Webb University Undergraduate Admissions Office, P.O. Box 817, Boiling Springs, NC 28017. Application for admission may also be made online at www.gardner-webb.edu/apply.


Applicants must meet the University’s standards as to intellectual promise and emotional and social stability. Gardner-Webb University is committed to its responsibility as a liberal arts university within the context of the Christian faith. It seeks to enroll students from a variety of racial, economic, social, religious, and geographic backgrounds.


Although a fixed pattern of high school credits is not prescribed, the following minimum course distribution is recommended as the best preparation for academic work at Gardner-Webb University: English, 4 units; Social Science, 2 units; Algebra, 2 units; Geometry, 1 units; Foreign Language, 2 units; Natural Science, 2 units; plus electives.


Acceptance of students for admission to the University does not automatically guarantee their entrance into any particular program of the University. Departmental/School approval is necessary for entry into any departmental/school program and/or major.


Students may enter at the beginning of any semester or summer term.



Applicants for admission to Gardner-Webb University are required to submit their scores on the SAT of the College Entrance Examination Board or the ACT of The American College Testing Program. Scores should be sent directly to Gardner-Webb University. The SAT school code for GWU is 5242, and 3102 for the ACT.


Applications, lists of testing centers and dates, and rules on applications, fees and other information are available in most high school guidance offices and on the web.



Students whose academic credentials do not meet Gardner-Webb University’s stated admission standards may be invited (by letter) to attend the University with conditional admission status. To be considered, students must submit two letters of reference and an essay and complete a personal interview with the Associate Vice President for Undergraduate Admissions. This designation has a limited number of freshman positions each year.


Students admitted with conditional admission status may register for no more than 15.5 credit hours during the first semester, as well as any subsequent semester in which they do not meet satisfactory progress. Satisfactory progress is determined by earning an overall G.P.A. of 2.00. If satisfactory progress is attained, the student will be removed from conditional status.


Students who qualify for conditional admission status are offered various academic support services, which are voluntary, but strongly encouraged. These support services include GWU’s Writing Center, Peer Tutoring Program, and academic counseling. Students will be required to meet with a member of the Academic Advising Center for the traditional undergraduate program to discuss their academic progress. Based on placement scores, some students entering with a conditional admissions status may be required to enroll in one or more Learning Enrichment and Assistance Program courses.



Gardner-Webb University admits a limited number of special students. They include:


  1. Persons who wish only private music lessons. Such applicants are admitted if instructors in the School of Performing and Visual Arts are able to schedule lessons for them.
  2. Persons 21 years of age or older who are not high school graduates or degree candidates but wish to take class work. Such persons are accepted on the basis of maturity and background sufficient to do the class work desired.
  3. College graduates who are interested in further study.
  4. High school students who wish to take class work on the Gardner-Webb campus prior to and during their senior year. Credit for this work is generally transferable to other institutions.
  5. High school students who wish to enter Gardner-Webb at the end of their junior year may submit an application for consideration for early admission. Students must obtain approval from their local school authority (i.e. school board, principal, etc.) to count their freshman year requirements at Gardner-Webb toward their graduation requirements from high school.



Home school students should submit a portfolio/transcript showing courses taken, grades, extracurricular activities and out-of-classroom experiences. The portfolio/transcript must indicate the program or programs used in instruction. Home school students are required to submit their scores on the SAT of the College Entrance Examination Board or the ACT of The American College Testing Program. Scores should be sent directly to Gardner-Webb University. If courses were taken at a community college, or college/university, transcripts must be submitted.



A student enrolled at another institution may take a course(s) at Gardner-Webb University and transfer that credit to the other institution. To be considered as a transient student at Gardner-Webb, one must apply to Gardner-Webb and have written permission from the registrar of the other institution.



In order to be considered for admission to Gardner-Webb University, international students must follow the procedure below:


  1. Submit documentation of their ability to read and write the English language. They should do so by submitting results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Test System (IELTS). If submitting results of the TOEFL, a minimum score of 500 (paper), 173 (computer-based), or 61 (internet-based) is required. If submitting results of the IELTS, a minimum score of 5.0 is required. They may take the SAT or ACT in lieu of the TOEFL or IELTS. Minimum requirements must be met. Students who fail to meet the English language requirement may enroll at an ESL Center. Proficiency certification by ESL meets the English language requirement for admission.
  2. Submit documentation of their ability to support themselves financially while in the United States.
  3. Submit all transcripts of foreign college credits to World Education Services for evaluation before being mailed to Gardner-Webb. An application for a WES evaluation may be found at www.wes.org. WES may also be contacted by calling 1-800-937-3895. This must be done prior to enrollment at Gardner-Webb.
  4. All high school transcripts must be translated into English. If requiring translation, submit official transcript to World Education Service. This must be done prior to enrollment at Gardner-Webb University.



Advanced Placement Program: Students achieving a minimum score of three on an Advanced Placement exam of the College Board will receive credit for the specific course covered by the test as determined by the appropriate academic department of the University. Students achieving a score of four or five may receive additional advanced credit. AP credits are not counted toward the senior college credit hour minimum (64).


College-Level Examination Program: Gardner-Webb accepts credit earned through the College Level Examination Program based on exams taken prior to, and through the end of, the student’s first semester of enrollment. CLEP credits are not counted toward the senior college credit hour minimum (64).


Gardner-Webb University grants credit to students submitting test scores from the College-Level Examination Program on the following basis:


General CLEP Guidelines:

  1. Credit will be received on the same basis as transferred credit from accredited institutions of higher learning.
  2. Credit will not be granted in an area for which the examinee has attempted or earned college credit.
  3. Credit earned will be computed in the examinee’s academic record as “CR,” which is hours credit only.
  4. Unsatisfactory scores will not become part of the examinee’s academic record.
  5. A CLEP test on any subject may be submitted only one time.


General Examination Guidelines:

  1. The student must submit a score at or above the minimum score set by the American Council on Education listed for each examination.
  2. The number of semester hours granted will be the total normally granted for the area covered by the test with the following restrictions:
  3. A maximum of six semester hours of credit may be granted for each test.
a. A maximum of three semester hours of credit may be granted on the basis of a sub-score, provided the area is appropriate.

b. Credit thus granted may be applied to the student's course of study only as basic courses or free electives.


Subject Examination Guidelines

  1. The student must submit a score at or above the minimum score set by the American Council on Education listed for each examination.
  2. The number of semester hours granted will be determined by the scope of the material measured as indicated by the American Council on Education.
  3. Credit thus granted may be applied to the student's course of study without restriction.


A detailed list of AP and CLEP equivalencies is available online and may be accessed as follows:

Address: www.gardner-webb.edu

Place cursor on: Academics, Office of the Registrar

Click on: Transfer Credit

Click on: Registration/Records


Click on: AP Credit Guidelines or CLEP Credit Guide


International Baccalaureate Organization: The University accepts credit for Higher Level courses completed with scores of 5 or above. A detailed list of IBO equivalencies is available online and may be accessed as follows:


Address: www.gardner-webb.edu

Click on: Academics, then Office of the Registrar


Click on: Registration/Records

Click on: Transfer Credit, then IBO


Armed Service-Related Programs: Veterans who have successfully completed a course or courses under the Service School training program or through USAFI may submit these courses for credit consideration. Credit may be applied or University requirement satisfied depending on the student’s specific academic program requirements.


Local Testing Program: A student who attains a satisfactory score on a special test administered by one of the University’s academic departments may be exempted from the related course, but will be required to take an advanced course in the department carrying equal or greater credit. Arrangements for advanced placement through this program require the agreement of the appropriate Associate Provost and department chair.



Requirements include a formal application for admission, all college transcripts, and a non-refundable $40 application fee. Transfer students should have completed at least one semester hour of college credit with a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average. When calculating the admission GPA for the university, Undergraduate Admissions takes into account all attempted college course work. Note this GPA may vary from overall transfer GPA found on the Transcript evaluation or on the prospective student's “WebbConnect” account. The overall GPA that the student views on her/his transcript evaluation or “WebbConnect” reflects only transferable credits.


The applicant’s record is evaluated by Gardner-Webb retention standards, or the applicant must be eligible to return to his previous college in order to be accepted.



Students transferring from accredited two-year colleges may transfer up to 64 semester hours. An additional 64 semester hours must be taken on the senior college level, with the final 32 semester hours for graduation taken at Gardner-Webb.


Community college graduates with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Sciences degree from a North Carolina Community College should see the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement in the General Studies Requirements section of this catalog. See Articulation Agreement, note 11 under Bachelor’s degree requirements.


Students transferring from accredited four-year colleges may transfer up to 96 semester hours. For a bachelor’s degree, the final 32 semester hours for graduation must be taken at Gardner-Webb. Candidates for the associate degree must take their final 24 hours at Gardner-Webb.


All transfer work completed at an accredited college and/or university will be considered for transfer at full value, assuming the courses are passed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better, provided they are comparable to Gardner-Webb University curriculum. This work will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office staff member charged with this responsibility.


Courses accepted as transfer credit are recorded with grades, grade points, and quality points. However, the grade point average for graduation is computed on academic credit earned at Gardner-Webb University.



If a transfer student attended a school that is not regionally accredited, the student will need to follow the guidelines below in order for Gardner-Webb to consider the courses individually for transfer.


All courses reviewed for transfer must be related to general studies or the major subject area chosen by the student. There are currently two ways in which we can review these specific courses:


  1. If any course(s) has a recommendation from an agency listed below, that recommendation will be used to aid in the evaluation. In the event the recommendation is vague or unsatisfactory, the Gardner-Webb faculty department chair for the subject area of the course being evaluated will be contacted for aid in determining the full appropriate credit to be granted. The agencies from which we accept recommendations are: American Council on Education, American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
  2. For course work that does not have recommendations from the guides listed above, the student must complete the following procedural steps for each course he or she wishes to have transferred:

a. Produce a syllabus for the course requested for transfer.

b. Request the academic institution previously attended to submit a record of credentials for the teaching faculty member(s) of each course requested for transfer [a catalog showing degrees earned, faculty vita, or a letter from the academic dean indicating graduate level work and area of graduate work for the faculty member(s)].

These credentials will be reviewed by the Associate Provost's Office for authenticity and credibility. Once approved, the Associate Provost's Office will contact the Registrar’s Office to permit review of the course syllabi for possible transfer of courses.



The student’s general academic performance is indicated by a Grade Point Average. This figure is determined by dividing attempted semester hours into earned quality points. Two Grade Point Averages are significant for each student: the semester GPA and the cumulative GPA.


  1. Both values are calculated on GWU academic work only.
  2. Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to qualify for graduation.



Students who are not in attendance for one or more semesters or who withdraw during a semester for any reason must submit a formal application for readmission. Students who have been out more than 24 months must meet new curricular requirements.


Former students who have attended other institutions subsequent to their enrollment at Gardner-Webb must provide an official transcript from each institution attended. Those regulations concerning the advanced standing of transfer students apply to these students.


Students who leave Gardner-Webb University while on probation may request an evaluation of courses taken at other institutions after returning to good academic standing. Approval must be granted by the appropriate Associate Provost. A request may not be made for summer courses taken immediately after being placed on probation at the end of spring semester.


Students who leave Gardner-Webb University while on suspension may request an evaluation of courses taken at other institutions after returning to good academic standing.


Approval must be granted by the appropriate Associate Provost. Courses taken during the semester or semesters the students were suspended are not eligible for evaluation. A request may not be made for summer courses taken immediately after being placed on suspension at the end of spring semester.



The purpose of the academic renewal policy is to allow students who have done poorly during past enrollment at the University to start anew and have a chance to complete their undergraduate degree at the University. To be eligible for academic renewal, a student must not have been enrolled at Gardner-Webb for the previous four years prior to applying for readmission nor have received Academic Renewal previously. For students who have attempted more than 64 semester hours of work at Gardner-Webb, only the first 64 hours are eligible for academic renewal. All of the eligible hours must be considered; a student may not choose the hours to which this policy applies. Only Gardner-Webb credit hours are eligible for academic renewal. Coursework at another institution must be treated according to the current transfer credit policies.


A student who is accepted under the Academic Renewal provision is considered in good academic standing and is eligible for all academic awards and honors. All transfer work from other institutions will be considered for credit, even if the course is a repeat of a course in which the student earned a D or F at Gardner-Webb. A student who is admitted under Academic Renewal may have a career total of six repeat courses. This number does not include courses repeated prior to the student’s admission under Academic Renewal for which they do not receive credit upon their readmission to the University or courses repeated at other institutions.


Under this policy, all eligible Gardner-Webb University hours will be treated as transfer credit, i.e. grades of C or better will be given credit, but not counted in the Grade Point Average (GPA). Grades below C will not be counted as hours earned or in the GPA, with the exception of FX grades. FX grades will remain on the student’s records and count in the GPA. All GWU semester hours approved for academic renewal will be treated as transfer credit for determining academic awards.


The GWU Readmission Committee will consider a student for academic renewal when reviewing an application for readmission. Any student who applies for readmission and is eligible for academic renewal may request consideration for such at that time. In addition, the readmission committee may recommend a student applying for readmission for academic renewal. If approved, the student will have the right to turn down academic renewal if it is not desired. All previous records at GWU will be considered during the readmission process, including academic and disciplinary actions. If a student is accepted for readmission, nothing in these records should preclude eligibility for academic renewal. Students may not apply for or be considered for academic renewal after they have been readmitted and have enrolled in their first course.