Technology Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of computer/software do I need?

The network is PC and Mac compatible. We recommend a 10/100 3COM ethernet card, Netscape 6 or Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher; and Microsoft Office Professional. Business majors will need Microsoft Office. Symantec Norton Antivirus is provided to all students via download when they connect to the University network.

1) System Processor - Intel Based 2.0 GHzIntel Pentium Duo Core 2.2 GHz
2) Operating System - Windows XP or Vista:     Windows 7
3) System Memory - 3GB4GB
4) System Hard Drive - 160GB320GB
5) Wireless Connectivity - 802.11g802.11n
6) System Warranty - 1 Year4 Years


1) System Processor - Intel Based 2.0 GHzIntel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
2) Operating System - Mac OS X v 10.5 Leopard  Mac OS X v 10.6 Snow Leopard
3) System Memory - 2GB4GB
4) System Hard Drive - 250GB320GB
5) Wireless Connectivity - 802.11g802.11n
6) System Warranty - 1 Year3 Years

How do I access the Internet?
All GWU students connect to our network, WEBBNET, via a network card, which should be installed in the PC or laptop, or a wireless card. Each dorm room has ONE network outlet. Dorm residents who wish to have two computers hooked up through the wired connection are responsible for purchasing a hub to share the connection. Otherwise, wireless may be used. The University Commons apartments have a port in each bedroom. If you choose to use the wireless system, you will need a wireless ethernet card. The wireless network is available in residence halls and the university apartments. 

Where can I get a network card, hub and/or wireless ethernet card?
Network cards, hubs, wireless ethernet cards and ethernet cords can be purchased at any reputable office supply store, a local computer store, or a super shopping center. Network cards can also be purchased in most new computers and most already have the cards installed. If purchasing, be sure to get a 10/100/1000 ethernet card. We recommend the 10/100/1000 3Com ethernet card. Hubs should also be 10/100/1000.


I have a laptop. Is that acceptable?
Yes. You will need a network card in order to access the network. Laptops can also access the wireless network via a wireless a/b/g adapter or card. If you need assistance configuring your card, please call 704-406-4647 or come by Technology Services. We are located in the OMG (O. Max Gardner Hall) building on the bottom floor. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 


I have a modem in my computer. Will I need to use it?
If you are living on campus you will not need a modem. (Exception: Memorial Drive)


What is Bradford?
Bradford is an application each student must have installed in order to access the GWU network. You will be asked to download the program when you first connect to WEBBNET. The software checks your Windows computer to make sure it is up to date with the latest Microsoft updates and security patches as well as up-to-date anti-virus definitions. If you have problems with setup, call 704-406-4647 for assistance.


Is Wireless available?
You can find out more about the wireless network at Gardner-Webb by going to the following site: Wireless Information..


You can also find out more about the wireless standards by going to the following site: Linksys wireless standards.


Gardner-Webb's network supports wireless 802.11 b/g/n cards.


If I have a problem at night or on weekends?
Please call 704-974-6760 to report your problem.