The Webb Spinners is Gardner-Webb University's Student Theater Society. This Student Society was founded in January 2003 to strengthen cameraderie between theater students and to aid in the recruitment of students interested in theater at Gardner-Webb University. The organization involves itself in the following kinds of activities.
- Singing Telegrams & Sonnets - Our actors deliver poetry "to order" with dramatic flare on holidays like Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day.
- The Black Widow Ball - An end-of-the-year costume ball/banquet celebrating the work the department has created throughout the year.
- Concessions - The student society takes charge of the concessions sold at intermission of mainstage performances.
- Production documentation- The society takes responsible for documenting department activities throughout the year to be compiled in a scrap book and slide show at the spring banquet.
- Fundraising - The students have accepted the goal of raising funds for the society and well as the long-range goal to fund a department scholarship.
- T-Shirts - Perhaps the most important aspect of any group is the identification of its members with the organization. By developing logos for display on t-shirts, hats, and other items, the society builds needed comeraderie and identification with the Theater program.
- Campus Tours - Aiding in student recruitment, the Webb Spinners give tours to potential theater students, teaching them "the ropes," and making them feel at home.
The Webb Spinners are student leaders who seek to benefit the GWU Theater program however they can. All students at GWU are encouraged to join the Webb-Spinners, regardless of major or minor.