Once accepted into the Gardner-Webb Physician Assistant Program, the following conditions must be met in order to matriculate into the program.
- Technical Standards form
- Immunization History form (via http://www.certifiedbackground.com)
- Tuberculosis Screening (via http://www.certifiedbackground.com)
- Health Information Release form
- Health Insurance documentation (policy statement from insurance provider)
- Certified Background check and Drug Screen (via http://www.certifiedbackground.com)
- Transcripts (for course work completed since application)
- Compliance with all conditions of acceptance
All students must meet the minimum technical standards necessary to achieve the knowledge, skills, and competencies required of an entry-level physician assistant. Candidates offered a seat in the program are required to sign a statement verifying they meet the technical standards. Download the Technical Standards Attestation form by clicking here.
The Gardner-Webb University (GWU) Physician Assistant Program has a pre-matriculation immunization policy that is based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) immunization recommendations for health-care personnel. Prior to matriculation, all PA students are required to have the following immunization (or serology testing proving immunity) status verified through http://www.CertifiedBackground.com. The estimated cost of verifying immunization or immunity status is $20.
- Hepatitis B: 3-dose vaccine series being administered on schedule and records of titer validating current immunity. If titer is negative, you must provide proof on one Hepatitis B booster vaccine.
- Mumps: Records of titer validating current immunity or a 2-dose vaccine series being administered on schedule.
- Rubeola: Records of titer validating current immunity or a 2-dose vaccine series being administered on schedule.
- Rubella: Records of titer validating current immunity or a 2-dose vaccine series being administered on schedule.
- Polio: Documentation of the completed primary series. There must be a record of at least 3 vaccinations.
- Varicella: Records of titer validating current immunity or a 2 vaccine series being administered on schedule. Note: History of previous infection is not sufficient evidence of immunity.
- Pertussis: Record of having received 1 dose Tdap within last ten years.
- Influenza: Record of having received viral influenza immunization during the fall semester preceding matriculation. Will be required to obtain influenza immunization annually while enrolled in the program.
Students who require one or more multi-dose-vaccine series to meet Immunization requirements must provide medical documentation that they have initiated the process at least six weeks before their first day of orientation. Students failing to do so will not be permitted to matriculate into the program. They must also provide medical documentation of completion of the process according to established CDC immunization timelines. Students failing to do so will be dismissed from the program.
Documentation of tuberculosis screening in the form of a tuberculosis skin test (TST) performed in accordance with CDC guidelines within one year prior to matriculation is required. Repeat screening during the month prior to onset of the first supervised clinical practice rotation will also be required. TST testing is required regardless of prior BCG immunization. If the TST is positive, provide a clear chest X-ray. Verified as part of the immunization screening done by www.CertifiedBackground.com.
Students are required to maintain personal health insurance during enrollment in GWU’s Physician Assistant Program. Proof of insurance coverage must be provided prior to matriculation. Students are responsible for all personal health care costs incurred enrolled in the PA program. These costs may include but are not limited to: immunization, illness, PPD testing, health evaluation post exposure to a communicable disease, or other accidental injuries sustained during program mandated training activities.
Certified Background Check and Drug Screen
Prior to matriculation, all PA students are required to have a certified background check through www.CertifiedBackground.com. Admittance to the Program is contingent upon a successful background check. A background check revealing information that would prohibit a student from participating in clinical rotations or prevent licensure will make him ineligible for the program. In addition, this evaluation includes a ten panel drug screen which must be negative to matriculate into the program. The estimated cost for the background check and drug screen is $100,
Immunizations, TB, Background, and Drug Screen Release
Each supervised clinical practice experiences site requires a copy of the student’s immunization history, tuberculosis screening results, background check, and drug screen. In order to facilitate provision of this information, the Physician Assistant Program requires admitted applicants to provide a release that authorizes the program to:
- Maintain a copy of this information in their program student record, and
- Release copies of this information to the clinical sites to which students are assigned for training
- Official transcripts of all course work including any courses that may have been completed since their program application was submitted
- Evidence of compliance with any other conditions noted in the applicant’s conditional letter of acceptance