To provide for every Gardner-Webb University student an opportunity to enhance academic decision-making through major exploration, academic planning, goal setting, and fulfillment of degree requirements.
Academic Advising is a significant function at Gardner-Webb University. Advising is viewed as a developmental process of decision-making through which a student explores and seeks information from professionals in the campus community. This process enables students to discern personal and career goals and to make appropriate decisions by participation in academic programs and the fulfillment of degree requirements.
The role of the advisor is to assist students in the process of acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to be productive members of the university community. Advisors also assist students in the selection of academic programs suited to their individual abilities, interests, and career goals.
The advisor further helps students by providing information and advice concerning academic programs, policies and procedures, and campus resources, which allow students to make informed decisions. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to know the requirements for graduation through information available through the website and other university publications.
Gardner-Webb University recognizes academic advising to be a critical component of a student’s educational experience. It is our goal to provide academic advising assistance to help students make a satisfactory transition to college life. The Advising Center advocates developmental advising wherein advisors take an active role in communication with students and in helping resolve their academic concerns. Through individual and collaborative relationships with academic advisors, students are best able to define and implement sound educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, gifts, goals, and career plans. Students learn not only to set personal and academic goals, but to develop strategies for achieving those goals.
Academic Advising Objectives
- To assist students in comprehension and interpretation of the universities academic policies and procedures.
- To foster the relationship between advisor and advisee as a key element to student academic success.
- To ensure that students have access to reliable and valid academic advising services at all times throughout the academic week.
- To encourage students to become involved in utilizing the student advisement process and services.
- To assist students in developing an educational plan that incorporates their strengths, gifts, and life goals.
- To assist students in evaluating academic decisions and degree progress.
- To coordinate advising activities and provide direction and assistance to both faculty and students.
- To assist students in the achievement of grades and grade point averages consistent with their abilities.
- To improve the retention of students at Gardner-Webb University by providing quality advising services.
- To ensure that advisors are informed as to the various campus resources that may be utilized for all referral purposes.
- To maintain an on-going, in-service training program for all individuals involved in the delivery of academic advisement services.
- To minimize the frustration of students, staff, faculty, and administrators during registration and drop-add periods.
- To prepare and distribute materials to assist advisors in providing correct information to students regarding registration procedures, academic regulations, academic evaluations, and graduation requirements.
- To encourage students to seek advisement from the designated advisor at least once each semester at times other than the peak periods of registration.