About the Program
Who Can Be An Alumni Career Mentor?
- Any alumnus/alumna who attended GWU two years prior
- Any alumnus/alumna who rose to the challenges and reaped the benefits of a GWU education
- Any alumnus/alumna who derives satisfaction from helping others to succeed
What Does An Alumni Career Mentor Do?
- Shares professional knowledge and experiences
- Reviews resumes and assists with job seeking skills
- Helps to identify additional knowledge and skills needed to be more competitive in the job market
- Encourages participation in professional and community networking opportunities
- Shares professional resources that will help mentee gain more solid understanding of field
- Gives a tour around the office; walks mentee through a typical day
- Provides job shadowing opportunities if applicable
- Provides periodic feedback that will help grow and determine the effectiveness of the program
How Much Time Is Required?
- The mentor and mentee will be matched for at least one academic year unless otherwise requested by either party.
- THe mentor and mentee will commit at least two hours per month via e-mail, phone, or campus visit.
- The degree and method of contact will be determined in the initial conversation between mentor and mentee.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Volunteer today by contacting Meghan Dalton by phone at (704) 406-2251 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Submit an Alumni-Student Mentoring Program Application.
- An Alumni-Student Mentoring Program Application can be mailed upon request by contacting Dawn Anthony by phone at (704) 406-2251.
What Is The Application Process?
- Your application will be reviewed.
- References will be checked.
- You will be matched with a student in regard to field of study, gender, and ethnicity.
- You will be provided with the name, gender, class year, major, and contact information for mentee via e-mail.
- It is the mentee's responsibility to make the initial contact.