Conditions for Transient Credit

Gardner-Webb University students may take transient credit if the following conditions are met. A student must obtain permission for transient credit of the student wants a guarantee for the transient credit to meet a certain requirement or to be equivalent to a specific GWU course. Otherwise, the form is not necessary.  


1.  The academic standing of a Gardner-Webb University student for retention purposes cannot be improved by attendance at another institution.


2.  Transient credit will not be accepted for:

                       A.  Students not in good academic standing (i.e., students on probation or suspension).

                       B.  Students who attend institutions other than regionally accredited colleges or                  universities.

                       C.  Students wishing to repeat a course in which a “C-” or lower was made at Gardner-Webb University. Once a course has been taken at Gardner-Webb University, a student may not receive transfer credit to replace the course.


3.  Students in their final year of study must get a waiver of the last 24/32 hour rule approved by an Associate Provost. Students are required to complete the waiver form and the transient form for permission to be given. This form is available online or at Registrar Services (Lower Level of Dover Campus Center).


4.  Credit may be transferred only for courses in which the student has earned a “C” or better. The student must meet graduation requirements for the total number of hours required.


See the TRANSFER CREDIT POLICY in the catalog concerning required number of hours allowed from a two year college and a four year school to count toward a bachelor's degree from Gardner-Webb University. 


5.  It is the responsibility of the student to request an official transcript from the school where transient credit was taken to be sent to the Registrar's Office at Gardner-Webb University immediately following completion of the course. It should be mailed to Sherri Jackson, Gardner-Webb University, PO Box 7323, Boiling Springs, NC 28017


6. If the student completes the transient credit form, the form must be submitted before the last class day of the semester prior to the requested semester of study. 

7. Students must pay the processing fee.  This fee is billed to the student account through the business office at Gardner-Webb University.  Please be advised that this is a processing free and it is non-refundable.

8. It is to the student's benefit to register for the course before submitting the "Request to Recognize Transient Credit" form. This will allow for changes in the schedule without incurring additional processing fees.