Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I CONNECT MY PC TO CAMPUS WIRELESS?
- Verify that an anti-virus program is installed, current, up-to-date, and is the only anti-virus program on the computer. Examples can be McAfee, Norton, AVG, or Symantec. THERE MUST BE ONLY ONE. This is required for continued internet access. Some will already have an anti-virus program that needs to be updated daily. If the one that is installed has expired, a renewal will have to be purchased or a different anti-virus program has to be installed. If necessary, a FREE program can be downloaded from Microsoft at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials. Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good anti-virus program that GWU uses for most student computers with great results.
- Download and install Bradford. Installing Bradford is mandatory and required in order to access the internet while on campus. Open an internet browser while on campus (type in http://gwumanage.gardner-webb.edu/registration/ at the address bar if necessary). At the welcome screen, read and agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Then click the option for Students and Employees and then, using your Gardner-Webb username and password, download and install the Bradford program. Bradford ONLY verifies whether the computer has current virus protection or not. If an anti-virus program is not installed or current, Bradford will restrict access to the network.
- If you are still unable to connect or have any computer or network issues, contact Technology Services - Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, located in Gardner-Hall, 704-406-4647, or 704-974-6760 during nights and weekends. If a message must be left, please leave your name, number, location, and best time to contact. Students may be required to leave computers for service.
- Notes and Reminders – Any device not connected to the GWU network for more than 14 days is reset within the Bradford program. Upon returning to campus and reconnecting, first run any and all anti-virus and Microsoft updates and then wait for the Bradford login box to appear and sign in before attempting to go to the Internet. These steps only take a few minutes, but Internet access will be blocked if skipped and you will have to come to Technology Services.
HOW DO I CONNECT MY MAC TO CAMPUS WIRELESS?
- For Mac users, Bradford only needs to be installed in order to register the computer and gain access to the network. At the welcome screen, read and agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Then choose the Students and Employees link and follow installation instructions. Wait on the Bradford login box and enter your Gardner-Webb username and password. Once the “successfully registered” message appears, the network settings will be automatically configured and network access granted.
DO I HAVE ACCESS TO WIRED ETHERNET IN MY ROOM?
There are Ethernet connections available on campus. For the dorm rooms, there is a single Ethernet port per room. For apartments A through F and H, there is a single Ethernet port per bedroom. There are no Ethernet connections available in apartments G, I, or J.
CAN I ACCESS THE WIRELESS NETWORK IF I’M A VISITOR ON THE CAMPUS?
Guests of GWU will only be able to gain Internet access after completing our registration process.
- Connect to the “wirelessdawgs” network
- Opening any Internet browser while on campus will direct you to the Registration page, or type in http://gwumanage.gardner-webb.edu/registration at the address bar if necessary.
- Read and agree to the Acceptable Use Policy
- Click the link for Guests
- Fill in the required information and click continue
- IMPORTANT STEP: Upon completion, disconnect from “wirelessdawgs” and then re-connect
- Registration is now complete and the Internet is now available
Access is granted for 24 hours. Steps will need to be repeated if visit lasts longer than one (1) day. If you are still unable to connect, contact Technology Services - Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, located in Gardner-Hall, 704-406-4647, or 704-974-6760 during nights and weekends.
HOW DO I CONNECT MY SMARTPHONE, PRINTER, GAMING CONSOLE, OR WI-FI DEVICE TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK?
- For all Apple and Android devices, users are able to register their devices automatically from the web browser by reading and agreeing to the Acceptable Use Policy, selecting the Students and Employees option from the GWU Registration Web Page, and following the installation instructions.
- For wireless printers, a set-up page must be printed after connecting to wireless network, but before running printer CD on the computer. From the set-up page, use the MAC address to register the printer with Bradford. Wait 5 minutes, restart the computer, and print another set-up page. From the set-up page, use the IP address to set up the printer using the supplied CD. MAC address ex., 00-1E-4F-AB-21-FF.
- For online gaming consoles and all other Wi-Fi devices that require access the network, users can register these through their computers web browser, from the GWU Registration Web Page, under the Gaming Devices option.
- If a problem is encountered, bring the smartphone or device MAC address to Technology Services.
WHAT ARE SOME BASIC COMPUTER RECOMMENDATIONS?
|WINDOWS BASED LAPTOP||APPLE MACBOOK|
|1) Operating System||Windows 7 or 8||Mac OS X Mountain Lion|
|2) System Processor||Intel based, 2.2 GHz||Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz|
|3) System Memory||4GB||4GB|
|4) System Hard Drive||500GB||500GB|
|5) Wireless Connectivity||Dual Band - 802.11a, b, g, n||802.11n|
|6) System Warranty||3 Years||3 Years|
|7) PC Brand||NO RECOMMENDATION|
- It is highly recommended that all students maintain a backup of all data (flash drive or external hard drive) and have some version of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc). Flash drives and heavily discounted 2010 Office for Windows and Mac are available for students in the GWU Campus Shop.
HOW DO I SET UP GWU EMAIL ON MY MOBILE DEVICE?
Students have several options when adding GWU email accounts to their smartphones. The Microsoft Exchange/Corporate Sync setup is the most common and allows full sync between the phone and the computer for email, contacts, and calendar.
Microsoft Exchange or Corporate Sync settings:
Email Address: < GWU email address >
Password: < GWU password >
Username: < GWU email address >
Exchange server: outlook.office365.com
Domain: Leave Blank
Accept certificates: Yes
DOES GWU OFFER A STUDENT LAPTOP REPAIR SERVICE?
The Gardner-Webb Technology Services’ policy is to aid students with their Internet connection, anti-virus installation, and virus removal free of charge. However, due to the limited resources and manpower of the department, the same policy prohibits repairs outside of wireless access and viruses, during the business day, so we can focus primarily on servicing and maintaining university-owned computers and equipment. Technology Services’ technicians are available to perform repair services on PC’s and Mac’s for students after 5:00 PM for a fee. The specific fee is determined based on necessary parts and labor and will be discussed with the student before any work is performed. There is no fee to diagnose the problem. These technicians, when performing these services, will be working as independent agents on their personal time and will not be acting on behalf of Gardner-Webb University. Arrangements for after-hours service may be made with technicians during the business day through the Technology Services’ department in Gardner Hall or at (704) 406-4647. This service, offered by the GWU Technology Services technicians, may be discontinued at any time.
- Computers running illegal software will not be repaired.