Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an opportunity for international students to obtain work experience in their field of study. These experiences can be internships, externships, or cooperative education programs.


When can I start?

Start the process as soon as you become interested by discussing with your Department Head, Academic Advisor or the Departmental Internship Coordinator! You will need to search for, find, and be hired for the job before you register for class credit. Also make sure you inform us at the Office of International Programs when you begin the process!


What do I need?

  1. To be enrolled as a full time student at Gardner-Webb University
  2. As an undergraduate, you must have completed one academic year at Gardner-Webb; but if you are a graduate student, CPT could be engaged in as soon as you begin your program if your curriculum says so
  3. A Letter or E-mail from the company giving you the job to verify that you will be working there
  4. A Letter from your Department Head that shows the CPT or internship will be an integral part of your GWU academic curriculum
  5. Report to the Office of International Programs for SEVIS authorization. #s 3 & 4 must be presented at your meeting with the International Advisor.
  6. Finally, register for your CPT at the same time you register for your classes that you are taking that semester


Things you should know?

  • There is a limit to the amount of time you can work under CPT
    • When school is in session? You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week
    • When school is not in session? You can work a maximum of 40 hours per week