Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I CONNECT MY COMPUTER TO WIRELESS?
- Verify that an anti-virus program is installed, current, up-to-date, and is the only anti-virus program on the computer. Examples can be McAfee, Norton, AVG, or Forticlient. THERE MUST BE ONLY ONE. This is required for continued internet access. Some will already have an anti-virus program that needs to be updated daily. If the one that is installed has expired, a renewal will have to be purchased or a different anti-virus program has to be installed. If preferred, a FREE program can be downloaded from http://www.forticlient.com/. This works very well and is our recommendation.
- If you are unable to connect or have any computer or network issues, contact Technology Services - Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, located in Suttle Hall, 704-406-4647. If a message must be left, please leave your name, number, location, and best time to contact. Students may be required to leave computers for service. At night and on weekends an emergency message may be left and will be responded to as soon as possible.
- Notes and Reminders – Upon returning to campus and reconnecting, first run any and all anti-virus and Microsoft updates.
- Instructions for connecting to each of the Gardner-Webb wireless networks can be found within WebbConnect by clicking on GWUWireless on the left side of the main page.
DO I HAVE ACCESS TO WIRED ETHERNET IN MY ROOM?
Gardner-Webb has moved to a wireless only campus. Several years ago all dorm rooms had wired ports. We no longer offer support for any ports that may or may not exist in your residence. Please use the wireless network for all access. If you encounter any problems please contact Technology Services at 704-406-4647.
CAN I ACCESS THE WIRELESS NETWORK IF I’M A VISITOR ON THE CAMPUS?
Guests of Gardner-Webb will be able to use a wireless network named GWUGuestAccess is granted for 1 hour increments.
HOW DO I CONNECT MY SMARTPHONE, GAMING CONSOLE, OR WI-FI DEVICE TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK?
- Instructions for connecting each of these devices to the Gardner-Webb wireless networks can be found within WebbConnect by clicking on GWUWireless on the left side of the main page.
- If you are unable to connect, contact Technology Services - Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, located in Suttle Hall, 704-406-4647.
CAN I HAVE A PRINTER IN MY STUDENT HOUSING?
- Printers are allowed in student housing and must be connected using a USB cable provided by the student. Gardner-Webb does not support wireless printing within the student housing.
WHAT ARE MINIMAL COMPUTER RECOMMENDATIONS?
|WINDOWS BASED LAPTOP||APPLE MACBOOK|
|1) Operating System||Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10||Mac OS X /Mavericks/Yosemite|
|2) System Processor||Intel i5, 2.5 GHz or faster||Intel 5 2.5 GHz Dual Core|
|3) System Memory||8GB||8GB|
|4) System Hard Drive||500GB||500GB|
|5) Wireless Connectivity||Dual Band - 802.11n, ac||802.11n, ac|
|6) System Warranty||4 Years||3 Years|
|7) PC Brand||NO RECOMMENDATION|
- It is highly recommended that all students maintain a backup of all data (cloud, flash drive or external hard drive) and have access to Microsoft Office. Microsoft offers Gardner-Webb students a free edition, available at http://portal.office.com. Follow the steps presented using your personal computer where you would like to install your Microsoft Office.
WHAT ARE THE SETTING FOR GARDNER-WEBB EMAIL ON MY MOBILE DEVICE?
Students have several options when adding Gardner-Webb email accounts to their smartphones. The Microsoft Exchange/Corporate Sync setup is the most common and allows full sync between the phone and the computer for email, contacts, and calendar.
Microsoft Exchange or Corporate Sync settings for Students:
Email Address: < GWU email address >
Password: < GWU password >
Username: < GWU email address >
Exchange server: outlook.office365.com
Domain: Leave Blank
Accept certificates: Yes
DOES GWU OFFER A STUDENT LAPTOP REPAIR SERVICE?
The Gardner-Webb Technology Services’ policy is to aid students with their Internet connection, anti-virus installation, and virus removal free of charge. However, due to the limited resources and manpower of the department, the same policy prohibits repairs outside of wireless access and viruses, during the business day, so we can focus primarily on servicing and maintaining university-owned computers and equipment. Technology Services’ technicians are available to perform repair services on PC’s and Mac’s for students after 5:00 PM for a fee. The specific fee is determined based on necessary parts and labor and will be discussed with the student before any work is performed. There is no fee to diagnose the problem. These technicians, when performing these services, will be working as independent agents on their personal time and will not be acting on behalf of Gardner-Webb University. Arrangements for after-hours service may be made with technicians during the business day through the Technology Services’ department in Suttle Hall or at (704) 406-4647. This service, offered by the GWU Technology Services technicians, may be discontinued at any time.
- Computers running illegal software will not be repaired.