Conditions for Transient Credit

Gardner-Webb University students may take transient credit if the following conditions are met. A student may obtain permission for transient credit if the student wants a guarantee for the transient credit to meet a certain requirement or to be equivalent to a specific GWU course. Otherwise, the form is not necessary. 

1.  The academic standing of a Gardner-Webb University student for retention purposes cannot be improved by attendance at another institution.

2.  Transient credit will not be accepted for:

                       A.  Students not in good academic standing (i.e., students on probation or suspension).

                       B.  Students who attend institutions other than regionally accredited colleges or universities.

                       C.  Students wishing to repeat a course in which a “C-” or lower was made at Gardner-Webb
University. Once a course has been taken at Gardner-Webb University, a student may not receive transfer credit to replace the course.

                        D.  Students majoring in Biology and/or Chemistry taking a science course with an online lab.

                        E.  Students taking a natural science course that has a 2-course sequence where the first course has an online lab.

3.  Students in their final year of study must get a waiver of the last 24/32 hour rule approved by an Associate Provost. Students are required to complete the waiver form and the transient form for permission to be given. This form is available online or at the Registrar Services window. (Dover Campus Center Student Services Suite)

4.  Credit may be transferred only for courses in which the student has earned a “C” or better.  The student must meet graduation requirements for the total number of hours required. See the TRANSFER CREDIT POLICY in the catalog concerning required number of hours allowed from a two year college and a four year school to count toward a bachelor's degree from Gardner-Webb University.

5.  It is the responsibility of the student to request an official transcript from the school where transient credit was taken to be sent to the Registrar's Office at Gardner-Webb University immediately following completion of the course.  It should be mailed to Sherri Jackson, Gardner-Webb University, PO Box 7323, Boiling Springs, NC 28017

6. If the student completes the transient credit form, the form must be submitted before the last class day of the semester prior to the requested semester of study

7. Student must pay the processing fee.  This fee is billed to the student account through the business office at Gardner-Webb University once the official transcript is received and credit has been issued.  Please be advised that this is a processing fee and it is non-refundable.

8. It is to the student’s benefit to register for the course before submitting the “Request to Recognize Transient Credit” form.  This will allow for changes in the schedule without incurring additional processing fees.