Health and Wellness Including Online Resources

Our daily routines have changed as a result of COVID-19, and we are all doing our part to promote and participate in healthy practices.

AS OF JULY 24, 2020

There are several things we can continue to do together (such as wearing face coverings, practicing physical distancing, and engaging in healthy cleaning habits). There are also resources available to assist students, faculty and staff as we move through this pandemic.   

What are the general healthy precautions I should engage in daily? 

Wear a face covering, wash your hands, and keep your physical distance. Keep your interactions with others to a minimum. If what you need can be done in a virtual setting, then choose that option.

What is physical/social distancing? 

Maintaining a safe distance between you and others. The recommended distance is six feet.

Are face coverings required and/or available? If so, where? 

Face coverings are mandatory indoors on the Gardner-Webb campus, including when seated in classrooms and during labs. Face coverings are to remain on in classrooms and labs, even if 6 feet of distance can be maintained. In addition, even though all persons will be wearing face coverings in classrooms and labs, they should stay at least six-feet apart in whenever possible.

Faculty members may refuse entry or temporarily remove from class students who fail or refuse to follow these simple rules. When violations occur, the faculty member should notify the Office of the Dean of Students and work with them to secure compliance or determine whether the student is entitled to refrain from wearing a face covering. There are certain circumstances where face coverings are not required, such as for documented medical reasons. In outdoor areas, everyone is strongly encouraged to wear face coverings where physical distancing cannot be maintained.

Disposable face coverings may be obtained from the following locations: University Police, Campus Shop (Tucker Student Center), Student Development Office (Tucker Student Center), College of Health Sciences (front office).

Will GWU provide health monitoring/screening or testing? 

Traditional Undergraduate Residential Students are required to complete a COVID-19 screening form prior to moving into their residential facility. The COVID-19 screening form is issued through Housing and Residence Education. The University is exploring additional daily screening tools.

What should I do if I have symptoms? 

Avoid contact with others; seek medical care from a local healthcare provider; students may utilize the new Gardner-Webb Student Health Clinic at 148 Memorial Drive (let the provider know of your symptoms before arrival). If you are a residential student, you should contact the Dean of Students, Dr. Sarah Currie by phone at 704.406.4374 and email at [email protected]create new email. Commuter students and graduate students should report their symptoms to the Director of Safety, Barry Lane by phone at 704.406.2266 and by email at [email protected]create new email. Faculty and staff members should report their exposure to their immediate supervisor.

If I know I’m exposed to a positive case, or have tested positive for COVID-19, what should I do? 

All faculty, staff, and students are expected to voluntarily self-disclose if they test positive for COVID-19 or have reason to believe they may have contracted the virus, such as being exposed to someone who has tested positive. Residential students should report their exposure to Dean of Students, Dr. Sarah Currie by phone at 704.406.4374 and email at [email protected]create new email. Commuter students and graduate students should report their exposure to the Director of Safety, Barry Lane by phone at 704.406.2266 and by email at [email protected]create new email. Faculty and staff members should report their exposure to their immediate supervisor.

The University will gather the facts and coordinate with local health authorities as necessary. They may conduct contact tracing to determine interactions with other employees and students. Students, faculty and staff who are exposed will be guided on protocols to follow soon after they report the exposure.

Depending on your situation you may be asked to self-isolate or self-quarantine.

In order to protect the health and safety of the University Community, all faculty, staff and students must follow the directives of campus authorities.

How will Gardner-Webb handle suspected, presumptive or confirmed positive cases of COVID-19? 

Gardner-Webb has established a COVID-19 Case Plan in consultation with the Cleveland County Health Department and established guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This plan includes assessing risks, coordination with local health officials for contact tracing and implementing strategies for continued education. The University also has a plan for safe-isolation quarantine housing, delivered meals for affected students, and healthcare support.

Will Gardner-Webb let the campus community know if positive cases are identified on campus? If so, how? 

The University will continue to utilize email and community updates on the Gardner-Webb website to communicate any relevant Coronavirus-related information.

If students have to be quarantined or isolated, where will that location be? How will that impact their learning engagement?

Some students may be quarantined or isolated in their current living quarters if secure isolation can be established. The University will provide quarantine or isolation housing for those unable to maintain secure isolation in their current living situation.

The University will assist students in coordinating alternative meal and educational plans. 

How will the new Student Health Clinic be utilized to assist with COVID-19 related monitoring, assessment and treatment? 

The new Student Health Clinic provider, Atrium Health, will partner with Gardner-Webb throughout monitoring and assessment. If a student needs to be tested, students will be referred to Atrium’s primary clinic in Shelby, N.C., for official COVID-19 testing.

What is the difference between self-monitoring, placing one’s self in isolation, or quarantine?

Self-Monitoring is the process of monitoring yourself for possible COVID-19 symptoms (any or several of the following could apply):

  • This indicates that the individual should be aware of the symptoms and be on a heightened alert to well-being.
  • This term is reserved for those who may know of someone who has an active diagnosis of COVID-19. 
  • This individual does not meet current criteria to be tested for COVID-19. 
  • They have not had any direct contact with a positive individual but have had secondary or third level of contact with a positive case.
  • This term indicates the person can move around on campus but should avoid as much direct contact as possible (Example: utilize “To Go” dining options).
  • Individuals who are self-monitoring, should practice healthy hygiene habits, engage in physical distancing, and wear face coverings.

Isolation is the placement of an individual who has tested positive or is experiencing more severe symptoms of COVID-19. This individual will be placed in a secure location (any or several of the following could also apply): 

  • If a student is designated to be in quarantine or isolation, the individual should remain in assigned housing and utilize Student Development to bring meals.
  • An isolated individual may not need to be relocated if current living conditions allow for controlled separation from other students.

Quarantined individuals are placed in a monitored environment once it has been determined that the individual has been in contact with a positive case through contact tracing (any or several of the following could apply): 

  • A quarantined or isolated individual may need to be relocated to one of the quarantine (or isolation) housing units on campus if current living conditions do not allow for controlled separation from other students.
  • A quarantined or isolated individual should rely on Student Development to get their meals, medicine, school supplies, etc. 
  • This could indicate that the individual was in direct contact with a person who is under testing for COVID-19.
  • This could indicate that the individual is awaiting test results from COVID-19.
  • This could indicate that the individual has mild symptoms that could be related to COVID-19.

What are the campus cleaning protocols?

Cleaning and disinfecting have continued to increase around campus throughout the last several months and will continue. We continue to monitor and adopt to new recommendations for cleaning physical properties.

Are hand sanitizing stations available throughout campus?

 Hand sanitizing stations will be placed as we bring buildings back to full occupancy.

Is there a general checklist available for daily symptom awareness? 

What are the symptoms of COVID-19: What should I look for? They can be similar to the flu or cold: fever, cough, body aches, loss of taste or smell, nausea, or shortness of breath. For details on symptoms, health-related precautions, and information about the Coronavirus, you may visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A healthy and fit community is essential. There are numerous resources available for students, faculty and staff to support physical and mental health.  

What on-campus medical resources are available for students? 

The new Gardner-Webb Student Health Clinic at 148 memorial Drive (in partnership with Atrium Health) is available for traditional undergraduate students and graduate residential students.

How can the campus community gain counseling resources at this time? 

Students can seek help from the Counseling Center. Appointments can be scheduled by phone or in person. To schedule an appointment for individual counseling, call (704) 406-4563 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Emergency services are available on a 24-hour basis. After hours and on weekends students can call Gardner-Webb University Police at (704) 406-4444 or the on-call Counseling Center number, ()704) 406-2599.

What fitness/wellness opportunities are available for faculty, staff and students at this time? 

The University offers several outdoor recreational opportunities for students, faculty, staff and community including (but not limited to) walking trails around Lake Hollifield, tennis facilities and an indoor walking track at the Lutz-Yelton Convocation Center. Currently, those options remain available for fitness activities.

Currently, the Suttle Wellness Center is not open. It is considered a gym, and current North Carolina executive orders do not allow for facilities like this to open to the public at this time. 

Are there any protocols for use of the Suttle Wellness Center? 

When the Suttle Wellness Center is open, students, faculty, and staff will have their temperature checked prior to entry. We will also enforce a reduced capacity in this facility.