Social-Spirit-Service Requirement

Each organization is expected to fulfill the Social, Spirit, and Service (S-S-S) requirement to maintain active status. This is a great way to help students learn leadership skills in areas that are important to the university and the community.

Requests for funding allocations will be influenced by the organization’s involvement in these. If you need ideas for activities in these areas, please contact the ADSE.

  1. Social – Each organization must host an event or activity that is open to the whole campus. Meant to be an event that your club puts on for the student body.
  2. Spirit – Organizations must support the student body through participation in an organized athletic, academic or co-curricular activity as a group.
  3. Service – Organizations must provide service to non-profit/charitable local or non-local groups or organizations. Your student organization can organize these events as well as participate in those organized by others.
    1. Examples of service include: volunteering at home athletic events, hosting blood, clothing, or canned food drives, partnering with a local elementary school for lunch/homework buddies, serving at a homeless shelter, etc.

4 Club Meetings/Events Requirement

In addition to the annual S-S-S activities, each GWU organization that applies for funding (Tier 1) is expected to organize at least 4 meetings/events specifically for their club members, per year. Part of your role in a club or organizational leadership position is to build a community for GWU students who are interested in your organization’s mission. Use these events to bring your members together, meet one another, build relationships, and have fun! Plan events that are fun for you and align with your organization’s purpose and mission.

All programming efforts should be discussed with the organization’s Advisor. If the Advisor has questions concerning the content of the programming they should contact ADSE. All programming and events must be approved by the ADSE. To obtain approval, submit an “Event Registration” form via Presence at least two weeks prior to the event. Events must be approved by the ADSE prior to advertising or conducting an event. Once the Event Registration form is submitted and approved, the ADSE will add the event to the club calendar for public viewing.

One of the four meetings/events can be attending a Student Engagement sponsored or GWU organization-sponsored event as a group. If your organization attends a Student Engagement or GWU Organization-sponsored event your executive board will need to complete a Sponsored Event Attendance Form via Presence to get credit for the event. Organizations attending a GWU-sponsored event will not need to submit an Event Request form, just the Sponsored Event Attendance form.

Steps for Effective Organization Sponsored Events & Fundraisers

Step One: Establish Purpose
Is this a social, spirit, or service event? Is it an organizational meeting/event? Identify a legitimate purpose for the event that your members value and that aligns with the mission of your organization. If it is a fundraiser, how can you justify the cause? If you’re planning a service event, how can you determine the true need and its legitimacy before you attempt to meet it?

Step Two: Develop your idea
Come up with a good idea for an event. Why would people attend? What’s the incentive? If it’s a fundraiser, don’t reinvent the wheel. What do other organizations do for their events or fundraisers?

Step Three: Submit Forms Obtain Permission
Complete an Event Registration Form for event approval. Event Registration forms must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event. ADSE will approve or provide feedback and request adjustments before approval.

If this event is a fundraiser, submit an organization Fundraising Proposal Form at least two weeks in advance of your event date! All organizations must submit a fundraiser proposal form and have it approved before proceeding with any fundraising. Approval/disapproval for the event will be sent to the organization advisor by email.

Step Four: Plan
Plan ahead, and plan well. Answer the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How for your event. Set realistic measurable goals. How will you know whether or not you were successful?

  • Why? As an organization, agree on why you are having this event. What is its purpose?
  • Who are you planning the event for, and who will you include on your team to make it happen? Give everyone in your organization a role in the event so their contribution will be valued. Consider collaborating with another organization to maximize your effectiveness.
  • What are people going to do at your event? What is the incentive to attend? Will there be food, games, entertainment etc.?
  • When are you going to have your event? Check the GWU Life App and think about the other events going on around the time of your event. Certain times of the school year are busier than others, so choose a time that allows for maximum participation.
  • Where will you have your event? Your organization advisor will need to ask their departmental administrative assistant to reserve your event space in MRM. Certain setup/take down charges or cleaning fees may apply.
  • How will you make this the best event your organization has ever had? What do you need to make this happen? What could we do to make this a tradition?

Step Five: Advertise
Advertise well. See the “GUIDELINES ADVERTISING” that follows.

Step Six: Have your event, and enjoy!

Step Seven: Settle up
Deposit the funds you raised and return petty cash box. All funds acquired through fundraiser events must be delivered within 24 hours of the event to the Accounting Office in Webb Hall for deposit into the organization’s spending account. Organizations are not allowed to hold any of these funds for more than 24 hours.

Step Eight: Evaluate
Evaluation is an important part of any event/programming process. Did you accomplish what you set out to? Will you do this again? If so, what will you do to make it even better? Within 48 hours of the event, clubs/organizations are required to submit an Event Evaluation Form. Leadership teams should meet to complete the form together. Organizations will get credit for the event once the evaluation form is submitted.

Should your club have weekly meetings/events that are all the same in structure. Please fill out the Weekly Event Evaluation Form rather than the Event Evaluation Form for these types of meetings. These specific clubs will still need to complete the regular Event Evaluation Form if they are hosting an event outside of their normal weekly meetings. Examples include one of the S-S-S requirements, retreat, conference, etc.

Additional guidelines regarding organization-sponsored events/fundraisers/travel:

Sales Tax: Anything sold on our campus (including tickets, food items, merchandise etc.) is subject to NC state sales tax. You are required by state law to post a sign at the point of sale that reads as follows: “Price includes applicable NC sales tax.”

Petty Cash: Organizations needing a petty cash box to make change for fundraiser events may request this from the Accounting Office.

Selling: or soliciting in the residence halls and/or university commons requires approval from the Department of Housing & Residence Education.

Outside Vendors: Some fundraiser events will require a contract or liability or vendor form with non-campus groups. These forms may need to be reviewed by ADSE staff and the Accounting Office.

Ticket Sales: All tickets being sold for university-sponsored events taking place on or off our campus must inform the ticket buyer that the price of the ticket includes NC sales tax. For printed tickets, the seller is required to have this text printed on the ticket itself “includes NC Sales Tax.” If admission is being charged, but no ticket is distributed, the text below should be posted at the point of sale: “Admission price includes NC Sales Tax.”

Charitable Donations: If a charitable donation is to be made by a student organization to an outside organization as a result of a fundraiser, a check request should be submitted to the Accounting Office. Cash donations are prohibited. Organizations can donate money they raise to charitable organizations, but they are not allowed to donate funds provided by the university through the ICC as part of annual funding allocations. Charitable donations can only be made from funds raised once expenses from the fundraiser are deducted. All expenses must be deducted from the amount of funds raised. Donations can only be made to organizations that align with the GWU mission.

Public Events: All marketing pieces inviting the public to attend any event sponsored by an organization on campus must include the following statement: Auxiliary aids will be made available to persons with disabilities upon request 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 704- 406-4270 or email [email protected] to make a request.

Selling Food: Bake sales are no longer allowed. Only professionally pre- packaged or prepared foods may be sold on campus. Homemade or self- prepared items cannot be sold on campus.

Raffles: Student organizations are not allowed to hold raffles that involve the selling or buying of a chance to win a prize due to state tax and gambling laws. Raffles that are free are allowed.

Transportation: If your club event requires transportation, your club must take a university vehicle. To reserve your car or van please contact Tricia Houston at [email protected]. Your organization will be charged .20 cents/mile for all cars and .38 cents/mile for all vans. All advisors are university approved to drive vehicles. If your trip requires more than one vehicle or your advisor is not attending, student drivers will need to:

  • Complete the Driving Certification Application
    • This can form can be obtained from Tricia
    • Be sure to select “Student” in the top right corner
  • Complete the Video Safety Course Quiz
    • Send Tricia results
  • Send Tricia a copy of driver’s license

Once the above steps are completed, the student will be certified to drive university vehicles for the current school year only. This is, at minimum, a two-day process. Do not wait until the last minute to reserve a vehicle.

Long Distance/Overnight Travel: University-sponsored student groups on all overnight trips, and/or any trip that exceeds a 100-mile radius from campus, will require University approved, nonstudent, adult supervision on site. More often than not, this is the club’s advisor.

For all overnight trips where a hotel is needed, the University approved, nonstudent, adult supervisor must have a separate room from all students. Organizations should maximize room occupancy with four students to a room whenever possible.

Guest Speakers: Clubs wishing to invite anyone not employed by GWU to speak or offer programming on campus must have these guests approved by the Dean of Students before inviting them to come.

Planning Service Events: Here are some additional ideas to keep in mind as you plan service opportunities:

  • Trying to serve as a large group can be challenging. Try serving in smaller groups to enhance effectiveness at meeting needs and allow club members to develop deeper relationships through serving together.
  • Consider adopting a specific opportunity or need for the entire year. Suggest your organization commit to serving once a month for this opportunity. Long-term service in a specific area of need can greatly increase your effectiveness and build recognition for your club as an organization associated with a specific need.
  • Consider collaborating with other campus organizations to tackle needs that may appear beyond the scope of your organization. Relay for Life and Clean Water Awareness Week are two examples of how this has worked well on our campus. Your idea may be just what another organization is looking for, so send opportunities like this to [email protected] for help with advertising.

Homemade Food v Commercially Prepared Food: Per the Food Safety Policy, homemade/non-commercially prepared food, such as those prepared at a cookout or potluck, cannot be served at campus-wide/open-invite events. Events, such as cookouts or potlucks, where homemade food is served must be limited to officially registered club members. Any event open to those outside of your club roster must only serve commercially prepared food, snacks, and beverages.

Those preparing such food acknowledge that they take personal liability and responsibility for what they prepare and have an obligation to maintain proper food handling regulations provided by the State with regard to the food.  Those consuming such food should be aware of the inherent risks associated with the consumption of non-regulated food.  THIS FOOD MAY NOT BE SERVED IN A LOBBY, COMMON AREA, LOUNGE, OR GALLERY. THESE ITEMS MUST BE SERVED IN A PRIVATE MEETING SPACE. 

Bonfires: When an open burn event is planned on Gardner-Webb University (GWU) property, a review of the planned event must be conducted by the Office of Student Engagement, Plant Operations, and the Boiling Springs Fire Department. The sponsoring organization will be responsible for conducting the open burn event and the safety of the participants, spectators, and others. The organization Advisor, staff, or faculty member, must be present for the entirety of the event. All open burn events are only permitted behind the Tucker Student Center in the designated fire pit.

Wood for these events must consist of parts of a tree purchased in prepackaged bundles only. Pallets, treated and non-treated construction lumber are not permitted to use as firewood. We recommend getting bundles of wood from Boiling Springs Pro Hardware and Supply located at 430 S Main Street.

The fire is allowed to burn on a pile of wood no larger than (3) feet in diameter and (3) feet high.

Sponsoring organizations are responsible for all products related to the open burn event such as marshmallow sticks, marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers, etc.

Recreational Fire Procedure: The following procedure should be followed and viewed as a checklist to assist in attaining the goal of safe and successful recreational fire events.

  1. Organization should reserve the Tucker Student Center Fire Pit by filling out the Open Burn Requisition Form and submitting it to the Office of Student Engagement, 1st floor, Tucker Student Center. The Open Burn Requisition Form must be received 14 days prior to the event.
  2. Organization must pick up a safety bucket, fire extinguisher, water hose, and water pipe valve key from the Office of Student Engagement for the purpose of containing the open burn at all times, as well as extinguishing the fire.
  3. The user organization is fully responsible for extinguishing the fire at the conclusion of the event and returning said stated items within 24 hours of the event.

General Rules for Recreational Fires:

  • Organizations will be assessed the cost of the wood for the event if they use any available wood from the Student Engagement Office/Plant Operations.
  • All burn permits will be obtained by Plant Operations.
  • All open burns must be contained in an approved manner.
  • Only wood supplied by Student Engagement/Plant Operations is to be used. No outside wood or flammable is to be used to prolong the fire.
  • Said organization is responsible for building the open burn. Fire starters will be provided by Student Engagement/Plant Operations.
  • All open burns should be extinguished at the closing of the event.
  • Boiling Springs Fire Department or Gardner-Webb University Health and Safety Division can/will make safety-based decisions to extinguish any fire deemed unsafe or hazardous.
  • No fire shall be constructed without prior approval. No fire shall be constructed during prolonged dry periods.
  • Organizations will be responsible for all incidents of damage or injuries to the bonfire.

Contact Information: Office of Student Engagement Jessika Raduly, Associate Director: 704-406-4732, [email protected] Hope Saunders, Assistant Director: 704-406-4268, [email protected]