Clery Report

Reporting Crimes, Concerns, and Emergencies

There are several ways that members of the University community and visitors can report crimes, serious incidents, or emergencies. Regardless of how or when incidents are reported, it is critical for the safety of the community that reports are made. If crimes are not reported, the University is limited in its ability to help prevent other crimes and keep community members safe. Prompt reporting and participation in efforts to prevent crimes are highly encouraged. Persons making a report may choose to do so confidentially (without sharing name or other personally identifiable information). “Report A Tip” on LiveSafe allows confidential (anonymous) reporting of crimes, suspicious activity, mental health or drug/alcohol concerns, discrimination, and other concerns. It also permits the attachment of photos or videos to support the report.

Reporting an Emergency:

The fastest, most direct way to obtain emergency assistance is to dial 911.

  • Stay calm. Help others remain calm. When you are reporting an emergency situation give concise, accurate answers to the 911 operator. Do not hang up until told to do so. What the 911 operator will need to know first:
    • Location of emergency
    • Nature of the problem
  • If there is time, please also direct someone to call 704-406-4444 (University Police) to alert officers that an emergency situation exists.

The above procedures are to be used when reporting any emergency situation that requires an immediate response from Law Enforcement or Emergency Medical Services. This could include a medical or mental health emergency, a crime in progress and any situation where someone is in immediate danger of harm or self-harm.

University Police should be the first point of contact for non-emergency situations, such as when evidence of a past crime or suspicious property damage is found.

Voluntary and Confidential Reporting

Occasionally, people may wish to report a crime or incident, but do not want to pursue action through the criminal justice or University disciplinary system. Under the Clery Act, pastoral and professional counselors who receive confidential reports are not required to report crimes to the Police.

These positions are:

  • The Office of Christian Life and Service: A Pastoral Counselor is a person associated with a religious order or denomination, is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling, and is functioning within the scope of that official recognition.
  • The Office of Counseling Services: A Professional Counselor is a person whose official responsibilities include providing mental health counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning with the scope of their license or certification.

Pastoral counselors and professional counselors, if and when it is appropriate, are encouraged to inform persons they are counseling of the procedures to report a crime to University Police for inclusion in the annual disclosure of crime statistics.

Incident Reporting and Response

Reporting all incidents and crimes (even if no victim or perpetrator is identified) allows University Police Department to maintain accurate records on the number of incidents, determine if there is a pattern of crime with regard to particular locations, method or assailant, and to alert the campus community of an ongoing threat, if appropriate.

University Police Officers are available 24 hours a day at (704) 406-4444. Officers can provide an immediate response to emergency calls while working with the full range of city first responders with the goal of providing a complete and timely response to all emergency calls. Priority response is given to crimes against persons and personal injuries. For non-emergency calls, University Police will take appropriate action by dispensing an officer or asking for an incident report to be filed. Incident information involving students is forwarded to the Vice President of Student Development and Dean of Students, as appropriate.