Every student has an advisor at all points in the college journey. The student’s first advisor will be a professional advisor from the Student Success Center.

Once a student officially declares a major, the student will receive a faculty advisor within the major discipline. To view your advisor’s name and contact information, log into WebbConnect and select the “Show my Advisor” option located in the Advising folder.

How do I drop or add a class?

Students should check the website for dates pertaining to dropping, adding, and withdrawing from classes. This information is found on the Calendar on the Registrar Services page, under the Academic link located on the Gardner-Webb homepage. Students and advisors should make sure they are familiar with dates pertaining to these important terms:

  • Drop/Add Period – Students may drop or add courses themselves online during this time. This is the only time a student may ADD a class.
  • Withdrawal Period – Students may withdraw from a course by filling out the Withdraw Form on WebbConnect in the Registration tab. Important: students are responsible for withdrawing from classes – advisors do not withdraw students from classes.
  • WP/WF Period (Withdraw Pass or Withdraw Fail) – During this time, students may still withdraw from a course, but the student will receive a grade of WF or WP depending on the grade average in the class at the time of the withdraw. This is determined by the professor. Students wishing to withdraw a class during this time should meet with their professor to avoid any unpleasant surprises. It is also important to remember that a WF is the same as an F and WILL negatively impact the student’s GPA.

How many classes am I allowed to drop?

There is not a specific limit on how many classes a student can drop. However, students must be enrolled in 12 hours to be considered full-time. Students who live in residential housing must be enrolled in at least 12 hours. Most financial aid is also based on full-time status. Class drops/withdrawals that bring a student below 12 hours may jeopardize financial aid and tuition. Students should ALWAYS consult with financial aid before dropping below 12 hours. Dropping classes can delay graduation. Student Athletes should consult with the Director of Academic Services for Student Athletes, Carrie Drake Baker, prior to withdrawing from a course.

NOTE: In order for a student to graduate in four years, it is necessary to maintain a course load of 15-17 hours per semester. Students must complete at least 120 hours in addition to all major requirements in order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

How do I ask for an override?

During registration, classes fill up quickly. Should a student need a course as a pre-requisite, to fulfill a major requirement, etc., the student has the option to ask the professor for over-ride authorization. If granted, the professor will ask for the student’s ID and will enter the authorization in Banner. The student will then be allowed to register for the class. Again, it is the student’s responsibility to communicate with the professor teaching the course and to go online and register for the course once the override has been issued. The professor cannot register the student for the course.

How many hours should I take to graduate on time?

In order to graduate in 4 years, a student should take at least 15-17 hours in the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who take less than 15 hours during a regular semester may need to take summer classes in order to graduate in four years. Every student must have 120 or more hours to graduate. Additionally, all major, minor, and core requirements must be met.

Why am I required to take a placement test and how will it affect me?

Students are required to take a placement test when they have not taken the ACT or SAT or based on their SAT/ACT scores. If the scores on placement test do not meet the required minimums, students are required to take CRLT 101 (Critical Literacy) as a pre-requisite for ENGL 101 (Composition I) and/or MATH 100 (Basic Mathematical Skills) as a pre-requisite for a core level Math. Although required preparatory courses do not meet core equivalent requirements, hours accrued by taking these courses count toward graduation and count as elective hours.

How do I know what math to take to satisfy the math requirement?

Many majors have a specific math requirement. Students are encouraged to consult the online undergraduate catalog, degree evaluation, or their primary advisor before selecting a math course.

Can I attend summer school at another college or university?

Yes. However, students wishing to take classes outside of GWU must complete a Transient Credit Form. This form can be submitted electronically through WebbConnect, under the Registration tab, by selecting “Request to Recognize Transient Credit Form.” It is important for the student to understand that any course taken outside of GWU must be approved by the registrar’s office prior to taking the course or credit may not be granted. Students should also be aware that the last 32 hours must be GWU courses.

How many hours must I take to live on campus?

Residential students must be enrolled in at least 12 hours in order to live on campus.

Do I have to take Dimensions?

Each student is required to enroll for a Dimensions course (DIMS 111-114) each semester of full-time enrollment at Gardner-Webb or until a minimum of two credit hours (four semesters) has been earned.

Do I have to take all my core classes before I can take any courses in my major?

Students are not required to complete the core requirements before taking courses in the major. It is highly recommended that students work with their advisor on a completion plan that includes both General Education courses and major courses. Taking all General Education courses prior to taking major courses may cause a delay in graduation.

How do I declare my major?

Students are encouraged to declare a major by the end of the sophomore year. Freshmen are eligible to declare a major after completion of the first semester and UNIV 111. Transfer students may declare their major after classes begin in the first semester. Students may declare a major and/or minor by completing a Major Declaration form. This form can be found in WebbConnect inside the Advising folder.

Am I required to have a minor?

Not all majors require a minor. Students should consult the undergraduate catalog online as well as the advisor to determine if a minor is required for the intended major.

How do I check on transfer credits?

Students have the capability of checking their transcript online through WebbConnect under the Academic Information folder. Questions regarding how credits transferred from other institutions can be addressed by the transcript evaluator located in the registrar’s office.

How many elective hours do I need to graduate?

GWU offers an academic program consisting of a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit for the bachelor’s degree. The degree consists of a major field of concentration, minor, general studies (core curriculum), and elective hours as needed. The amount of electives required is dependent upon the hours required by the chosen major and minor.

Where do I obtain my registration PIN?

The student’s academic advisor has the registration PIN. The registration PIN changes every semester. Students should make an appointment to meet with their primary advisor for a one-on-one advising session before a new registration period begins. The advisor will give the student a registration PIN at that time. Gardner-Webb University promotes the advising relationship as a key element to a student’s academic success, and it is important to note that students will not be given a registration pin without a one-on-one advising session.

Who can help me if my registration PIN does not work?

Registration PINs change every semester. This measure is to ensure that the student and advisor have met and reviewed academic progress. In regards to problems with PINs not working, students should first verify the number with their advisor and then report any additional problems to Technology services by calling (704) 406-4647.

What if I have a hold on my record and cannot register?

Students who have “holds” on their record may be blocked from registering. The student is able to view the type of hold as well as the name of a contact representative on WebbConnect. Types of holds include but are not limited to: A/R – Business office holds, financial planning, library, disciplinary, parking tickets, residence life, registrar, and telecommunication holds. Registration will not be possible until the hold is lifted by the appropriate department.

If I have a doctor’s note, am I excused from class?

Absences are absences. Doctor’s notes or athletic travel letters may allow a student to make up work (with the professors approval), but will not dismiss the absence. Professors are required by university policy to fail any student who has missed 25% of classes. It is the responsibility of the student to keep up with classes missed and to stay in communication with professors.

Are athletic travels excused?

Absences are absences. Athletic travel letters may allow a student to make up work (with the professors approval), but will not dismiss the absence. Athletic travel should not exceed the 25% rule. Athletes have an added responsibility to make sure absences are minimal in order to allow for away travel.

Am I allowed to repeat a class for a better grade?

A student may repeat up to six courses in which a C-, D+, D, D-, F, @F or WF were earned to improve grades for GPA purposes. Beginning with the seventh repeat, all repeat attempts will be calculated into the GPA. Multiple repeats of the same course will count toward the six allowed. In the repeat of the first six courses, only the higher grade will be counted in computing the institutional overall grade point average, although the lower grade remains on the official transcript. Transfer credit may not be used to repeat a grade of D or F earned in a GWU course. University policy on repeating courses is not applicable in a situation where an “Fx” was assigned because of academic dishonesty. An “Fx” that is assigned as a penalty for academic dishonesty will remain a part of the academic transcript. Please refer to the undergraduate catalog for more information.

What if I cannot get in touch with my advisor?

Students should make attempts to contact their advisor via the contact information shown under the “Show my Advisor” option in WebbConnect. Students that have difficulty reaching their advisor may contact the Advising Center for additional assistance.