When should I apply for admission?

We recommend applying six months to a year before you want to attend GWU.  This gives you time to partner with an admission counselor on an individual plan on how you can reach graduation.  Starting as early as possible will save you time, money, and stress.

Do you have an application deadline?

We have a rolling admission policy, which means we do not have a deadline, but instead consider each application as soon as it is completed. As a rule of thumb, though, the sooner you can submit all required information, the better.

How do I apply for admission to GWU?

You can easily apply online today https://gardner-webb.edu/apply/

What are your transfer requirements?

Requirements for traditional undergraduate include a formal application for admission, an official high school transcript showing date of graduation or GED Certification, SAT or ACT scores and official college transcripts from all previously attended institutions. The high school transcript (or equivalent) and entrance test scores are not required of applicants who have completed 15 semester hours of college credits with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average.

If you are applying for the Undergraduate Online Degree Completion program, no high school transcripts or test scores are required, only 24 hour transfer credit and official transcripts from previous college(s) is required.

The applicant’s record is evaluated by Gardner-Webb retention standards, or the applicant must be eligible to return to his/her previous college in order to be accepted.

If I attended more than one college, which GPA will you use?

Official transcripts are needed from each college you have attended. Coursework posted on a transcript from an institution other than the original college where the work was actually completed is not acceptable. The application will be considered incomplete until a separate transcript from each institution has been received by the Office of Admissions. We will divide the quality points by the grade hours attempted at all colleges you have attended to calculate your cumulative GPA.

What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer to GWU?

Students transferring from accredited two-year colleges may transfer up to 64 semester hours. An additional 64 semester hours must be taken on the senior college level, with the final 32 semester hours for graduation taken at Gardner-Webb. Community college graduates with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Sciences degree from a North Carolina community college should see the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

Students transferring from accredited four-year colleges may transfer up to 96 semester hours. For a Bachelor’s Degree, the final 32 semester hours for graduation must be taken at Gardner-Webb. Candidates for the Associate’s Degree in Nursing must take their final 24 hours at Gardner-Webb. All transfer work completed at an accredited college and/or university will be considered for transfer at full value, assuming the courses are passed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better, and provided they are comparable to the Gardner-Webb University curriculum. All work will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office staff member charged with this responsibility.

How do I know which classes will transfer to GWU?

Official transcripts are evaluated by our Registrar’s office. Once accepted, students can view their transfer credit on their MyWebb account. A copy of the Registrar’s transfer evaluation is mailed with the acceptance letter. North Carolina community college students who need to enroll at their current institution and want to inquire as to how those courses will later transfer to GWU, should view a  comprehensive list of course equivalencies. For equivalencies from other institutions, please contact the admissions office.

What do I need to do to receive credit for AP courses I took in High School?

Traditional Undergraduate student can receive credit for AP scores. Scores must be sent directly to us from the College Board. You may contact them at collegeboard.org

Will my college GPA transfer in along with my credits?

Courses accepted as transfer credit are recorded with grades, grade points, and quality points. However, the grade point average for graduation is computed on academic credit earned at Gardner-Webb University.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Although evaluated by the Registrar, all transcripts need to be mailed directly to the appropriate Admissions Office:

Traditional Undergraduate Applicants:
Gardner-Webb University Admissions Office
PO Box 817
Boiling Springs, NC 28017

Undergraduate Online Degree Completion Applicants:
Gardner Webb-University
Digital Learning
P.O. Box 1896
Boiling Springs, NC 28017
Electronic: [email protected]

Will I need to take any placement tests? 

To be exempt from placement testing, transfer students must meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • Transfer of English equivalent to Composition I
  • SAT score of 500 or better on English
  • A score of 08 on the writing portion of the SAT
  • A score of 21 on the English portion of the ACT

To be exempt from math placement testing, transfer students must meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • Transfer of a Math core equivalent
  • SAT score of 480 or better
  • A score of 18 or better on the ACT

I want to transfer into GWU’s Nursing Program. Are the transfer requirements different for me?

Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the School of Nursing.

I work during the day. Do you offer evening programs?

Yes, The Degree Completion Program offers evening, weekend, and online classes. You must have your associate’s degree or 60-64 semester hours in an academic curricular area from a regionally accredited institution to be eligible for this program. The admission requirements vary from the traditional day program. For more information, contact us toll free at 866-498-GOAL.

I’ve applied and submitted all of my transcripts. How long before I know if I’ve been accepted?

The timeframe for the acceptance decision is one week from the time all documents (including the application and all official transcripts) have been received. Factors that may extend the response time include holidays and weekends, and during time periods where high volumes of applications are being received.

My question wasn’t answered here. Who do I ask?

Please call the admissions office toll free, (704) 406-2550, and ask to speak with an admissions counselor.

Transfer Credit

Students transferring from accredited two-year colleges may transfer up to 64 semester hours. An additional 64 semester hours must be taken on the senior college level, with the final 32 semester hours for graduation taken at Gardner-Webb.

Transfer Credit Learn More
Transfer Credit Equivalencies

This online tool allows you to access the database of courses which have been previously submitted, evaluated and approved for transfer credit into Gardner-Webb University.

Equivalencies Learn More