How do I apply for financial aid?

You May apply online at Remember that you will be asked to use your federal student aid (FSA) ID to sign your application electronically.

Where do I sign up for an FSA ID?

Your federal student aid ID represents your electronic signature. The student and all contributors must have an FSA ID to complete your FAFSA online. Please go to to register for an FSA ID or if you have forgotten your login.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA if I think that I will not qualify for federal aid?

Yes. This form will need to be completed if you are going to consider student loans to help finance your education. This form provides you the opportunity for any federal programs.

Do I need to complete all sections of the FAFSA?

Yes. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all sections. Remember to complete the application from the perspective of the student.

I (the student) have a child; does that make me an independent student?

Only if you provide 51% of the care for that child. Otherwise, you are still a dependent of your parents.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. You will need to complete a FAFSA form each year. The Federal Government will email you a reminder to renew your application provided you submitted an email address. Otherwise, renewals can be completed after October 1st for the following academic year.

What is verification?

Sometimes the federal government will randomly select you for a process called verification. If you are selected for verification you must provide all of the requested documents: (tax returns, signed tax return, Dependent or Independent worksheets, w-2s, etc.) in a timely manner.

Where can I find a copy of my taxes and W-2 forms?

You should have a copy of your previous year’s taxes and W-2 forms if you prepared your taxes yourself. If someone prepared them for you, contact your preparer to obtain a copy. Finally, you may also contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040 to acquire copies of your documents. Your employer is required to keep copies of your W-2 form for a certain period of time and will be able to provide you with copies.

I received notification that a loan had disbursed to my student account. When can I expect the overage to be refunded to me?

If you are eligible to receive a refund, you should expect those funds within 14 business days of the date your loan posted to your student account. Funds post to student accounts by the third business day after the disbursement date listed on your Notice of Guarantee and Loan Disclosure Statement. Keep in mind that if your loan is a one-semester-only loan, the funds will not fully disburse until after the mid-semester point. It may be after that second disbursement before any refund is generated. Refunds will be mailed to your address listed with the University. It is important that you keep this information current.

What happens if I fail to meet the minimum standards of academic progress?

If you have failed to meet one or both (quantitative or qualitative) of the minimum standards at the time of review, you will be placed on financial aid probation and continue to receive aid during your semester of probation.

If you meet the minimum standards the subsequent semester, you will be placed back in good standing.

If you fail to meet one or both of the standards again in the subsequent semester, you will be placed on financial aid suspension. Financial Aid suspension means that you will no longer be eligible for any financial aid, including loans. In this case you will be notified in writing.

If my financial aid is suspended, how can I regain eligibility?

You can enroll for and attend a new semester without financial aid. We will recheck your status at the end of the semester to see if you have regained financial aid eligibility.

If you feel there were mitigating circumstances (death of a family member, injury, illness, etc.), you may appeal the suspension. To request an appeal you must: Submit a letter of appeal, SAP Appeal Form, and SAP Academic Plan Form to [email protected]. Your letter must include:

  • the reason(s) why satisfactory progress is not being made, with detail surrounding the mitigating circumstance
  • documentation which supports the rationale for the appeal

Once received, the Financial Aid Appeals Committee will notify the student in writing of their decision within 14 business days after the Committee meets and makes its determination. All decisions made by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee are final.