Do I need renter’s insurance?

Housing and residence education very strongly advises that each resident carry individual renter’s insurance for his or her personal property in the event of fire, flood, theft, tornado, overflowing tubs, broken pipes, water main breaks, etc. You must understand that Gardner-Webb University and the office of housing and residence education does not and cannot protect any personal belongings against burglary, vandalism, fire, smoke, and other perils. You must also understand that by not having personal liability insurance, you may be liable to third parties and to Gardner-Webb University or the office of housing and residence education for certain situations/hazards that are covered by renter’s insurance.

You may be covered by your parents’ homeowner’s insurance. Housing and residence education strenuously encourages you to check with your parents’ homeowner’s insurance company to see what is covered and additional information necessary for coverage.

When can I check-in to housing?

New Students/Transfers | Fall 2020 housing check-in times

Monday, August 17, 2020, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; please report to your residential hall lobby or the university common’s club house for apartments and suites, to complete your housing check-in and retrieve your room key.

Returning Students | Fall 2020 housing check-in times

Friday, August 14, 2020–Tuesday, August 18, 2020; students will sign up for a set time block on their preferred day of check-in in their housing self-service portal.

If you have any questions or need help when you arrive, please visit the housing and residence education office located on the second floor of the tucker student center or call (704) 406-4300.

Can I check-in early?

It may be possible for housing and residence education to permit you to check-in early. Please contact the office of housing and residence education concerning early check-in inquiries. You will need to complete an early arrival request form. If the request is approved, you will be billed at a rate of $25.00 per day for each day that you reside in housing and residence education facilities prior to your official check-in date. Completion of the early arrival request form does not guarantee that Gardner-Webb University or Gardner-Webb University housing and residence education will permit a student to check-in early.

What do I need to bring during check-in?

Here is a detailed listing of items that you can bring to campus, along with a list of items that you cannot bring to campus. This information is also provided in the guide to residential living.

How big is my room?

Please refer to the individual housing pages for this information as room sizes vary.

May I loft my bed?

Students residing in the traditional residence halls and the university commons suites are permitted to loft their beds. Please refer to the housing quick facts section of the guide to residential living concerning specifics about what type of loft you are permitted to install in your room. Be advised that the university is transitioning towards standardized furniture, and that home-built lofts are not permissible in all residential facilities.

University beds may not be removed from student rooms or placed on other furniture. Students desiring a loft that reside in Decker Hall, Royster Hall, Stroup Hall, and the University Commons Suites are required to purchase the approved lofting kit provided through the University Campus Shop. Lofts are not to be connected to the walls, ceilings, or University furniture. Students are responsible for the maintenance, upkeep and safety of lofts and the removal at the end of the school year. The University is not liable for any issues, damages, or personal injury associated with the purchase, assembly, or use of a lofting kit. Students purchase, build, and use lofts at their own risk.

May I have a refrigerator or microwave in my room?

Refrigerators and microwaves are permitted in residential facilities. Refrigerators can be no more than 4.6 cubic feet in size. Housing and residence education recommends the use of Energy Star-rated appliances.

Can I have candles?

Due to fire code regulations, open flame of any kind, including candles and incense, is not permitted in residence halls. Student owned grills are prohibited. Charcoal grills provided by the university may be used when available.

Can I have a pet?

Non-carnivorous fish in tanks with a capacity of 10 gallons or less are permitted. No other pets of any kind are permitted.